Monday, April 5, 2010

Summertime is a comin'

"I will live my life as a lobster-man's wife on an island in a blue bay. He will take care of me, he will smell like the sea, and close to my heart he'll always stay"*

For those of you who read my husband's blog, a few days ago he blogged about his
warm weather playlist. I contributed some ideas to his compilation, but he and I do have some differing tastes in music.

Thusly, I present Heather's Ideal Summertime Tunes!!!

1. A must-have on this playlist is Justin Timberlake. Super strong beats and his smooth voice make the ideal music for rolling down the windows and cruising. Personal favorites include Lovestoned, Rock Your Body, and Summer Love.
2. Matchbox Twenty is the ultimate in summer jams. Who doesn't love Real World, Disease, or 3AM? They take me straight back to the 90's and make me wanna rock out at a high school dance.
3. For something a little swingier, I've turned to a new favorite, Ingrid Michaelson. Some of my favorites include *Far Away, Highway, You and I, and of course, The Way I Am. She's got such a soft, smooth way with her music. It's warm and summery and I love it.
4. I would be lying to myself and to all of you if I didn't put John Mayer in my top 5. There is something about his voice and guitar and band that just smells like summer. I want to toss my sunglasses on and go lay on a beach and listen to Neon or My Stupid Mouth or most anything from Where the Light Is.
5. Kelly Clarkson is the summer between my 10th and 11th grade years; she is the summer between my senior year of high school and going off to college; she is the summer between my freshman and sophomore years in college. Basically, Kelly is summer. Breakaway and Thankful are my favorite CD's, but she's got some good ones from My December and I've even found a few I like from her newest CD All I Ever Wanted.

Of course, I could make a much longer list that included more specific songs, instead of artists. Songs like Flavor of the Week, Pinch Me Irreplaceable, Evacuate the Dancefloor, Good Girls Go Bad, Begin Again, Gold Digger, Slide, Crazy for this Girl, I Must Be Dreaming, and Come On Get Higher.
Or I could list more artists, like Jack Johnson, Colbie Caillat, Michael Buble, and the ever-awesome SmashMouth.

So there it is, folks. My happy list of summertime jams.

I have spoken.

(Anna Robertson can relate to my musical tastes and choices more than anyone else (because she is my song soul-mate) and I hope she thinks this list does my musical collection justice!)

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I am your song soul-mate! Nothing makes me happier!

    If I had more time and wasn't so tired I would share my idea of a good summmer play mix-- and I dare say that you would enjoy it as well. I also make mixes revolving around various subjects: Dancing, Singing, Studying, Songs I listened to the most that year... etc.

    I think I'll put on some JT tomorrow and rock out on my way to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are my song soul-mate!! I think we would be lost in a musical sea without each other!
    I am positive that I would enjoy your summer play mix, because I am quite certain that it would incorporate some of my favs and a few I forgot to include. I can't believe NSYNC didn't make an appearance! How can I forget them?? Maybe I'll make an addendum...
    You rock to JT, Anna, you rock with him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So basically the difference between your list and mine is "JT" (ugh), Matchbox Twenty (never really listened to them), and Ingrid (emo). :-)

    I must say, though, that I've gotten a lot of music from you. We make a good team.

    I love you!




    But I still don't like Justin Timberlake.

    ReplyDelete