Monday, April 19, 2010

Let's hear it for the coffee...

I love my husband a lot.

I love him even more than I love coffee.

And there are few things in this world that I love more than coffee.

I LOVE COFFEE.

If you've been around me in the morning, you know that I am happiest if I get about a cup and a half of the good stuff.

If you've hung out with me in the late afternoon or early evening, you know that there are few desserts that compare with a fancy cup of joe (Unless there's cheesecake or ice cream, I'm having coffee).

Coming from the land o' Starbucks, Seattle, where there literally IS a Starbucks on every corner, has made me appreciate this delicious beverage.

Cold, with ice, frappucchino style, hot, with ice cream floating in it, with whip, different flavors, with syrup, with drizzle: the possibilities are limitless.

The only way I don't like coffee is plain. Or with too much caramel. I'm not a fan.

Some have hypothesized that perhaps I like the fancy flavorings and not the actual coffee.
But I must refute this theory.

That is like saying that I like the icing more than I like the cake.
Or that I like the music but not the lyrics.
It would be like loving the Bel and Biv but not De Voe.

It just doesn't work.

All those fancy toppings and flavors are nothing without good coffee at the center!

When Stephen and I were in Bolivar and in Cleveland, we bought whole coffee beans and ground them ourselves (well, with a grinder). If we had yucky beans, no matter how much creamer or sugar we put into it, it was still bad coffee. If we had good beans, we could put just a touch of creamer and sugar and the coffee would be fabulous.

Now that we are in Waco, we've found a brand of already ground coffee that we like. And we still get different creamer flavors, but it's the coffee that makes it yummy.

Plus, the caffeine side affects are fun. Stephen gets "coffee hyper" and likes to be creative and crazy (and sometimes he gets obnoxious). I think I am pretty much the same.... Well, maybe I get a little hyper...

We'll call this my ode; my ode to coffee.

'How do I love thee, Coffee?
Let me count the ways;
I love thee for making my breakfast yummier,
For being the reason I can stay awake on rare days I go to work,
Because without you, I'd laugh a lot less at Stephen,
For being warm and cozy in the winter,
For being cold and refreshing in the summer.
Oh, Coffee, I love thee for all these reasons.
And so many more!

Coffee is awesomeness times a bazillion, and if you don't already love it, you should.

I have spoken.

5 comments:

  1. Mmmm... I love coffee. I used to drink about 2 cups a week. Now I drink 1 cup every day. I sense something like an addiction forming.

    And, for the record, I love my creamer more than my coffee b/c I bought this offbrand coffee and it tastes bad but I have to use it because I bought it! Boo!

    P.S. Your song title reminds me of Footloose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) Heather began the post by loving her husband because he was massaging her back at the time. He's awesome.

    2) Heather will absolutely have cheesecake or ice cream WITH coffee if given the opportunity. At those times, her eyes get really wide and begin to moisten.

    3) I won't begin a schpeal about Starbucks and how northwesterners are coffee snobs at this point, but I wanted to begin to begin one.

    4) I was the one who hypothesized that Heather likes the flavorings more than the coffee itself. Nice refute. However, I don't see what's wrong with liking music without the lyrics. Lyrics too often kill good music.

    5) Oh oh! Get this... the brand of coffee Heather likes now is Folgers. Not the expensive Folgers either; she likes the kind that comes in that plastic tub! (She's come a long way from her Starbucks snobbery.)

    6) My coffee hyper has inspired most of my significance in life. To name a few... my blog, my timeline project, the super-secret project Heather and I are currently working on, reading books, writing music, making paper flowers, the decorations at our wedding, etc.

    7) Anna: we drink coffee every morning now (and sometimes also in the evening), and truly I say to you that if we don't drink it, we both get headaches in the afternoon. Lesson to be learned here: we should all drink more coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Things I must respond to:

    a) I too love that large plastic tub of Folgers goodness. And I'm one of the apparent Seattle "coffee snobs" (PS, BIL, you can use multiple syllables when ordering coffee - it's allowed).

    b) Creamer is good, but I'm now to the point where I just need some milk and sugar and I'm happy (so's my tummy).

    c) Heather, I'm going to be "that person" and call you on your spelling error: the title should be "Let's HEAR it for the Coffee" - c'mon English major. I'll let it slide if you say that you hadn't yet had a cup of coffee and your brain was fuzzy. Otherwise, I'm callin' you out!

    d) As it was Admin Professionals Appreciation Day today, my boss brought my flowers and a cup of coffee with a gift card for our little coffee shop. It's like she just gets me!

    e) I luv coffee.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sis, it's spelled correctly... Hear. Did you read it wrong?
    I think I'd had 2 or more cups when I wrote this post.... So I couldn't claim fuzzy brain, but I could claim brain cloud. Cause I still think I have one some days.

    ReplyDelete