Friday, April 2, 2010

Bunburry

(For artistic purposes, please imagine me reading this to you with a British accent:)

This evening, I had the distinct pleasure of viewing one of my favorite movies with my charming husband, Earnest. Of course, his Christian name is actually Stephen, but it has always been a girlish fantasy of mine to love a man with the name Earnest. The name itself inspires absolute confidence.

Oscar Wilde's satirical masterpiece, The Importance of Being Earnest, is AMAZING!! I adore it. The play, in both script form and performed, is sublime. The movie is utterly impeccable. I especially acclaim Colin Firth's performance. He is superb.

(Ok, you can stop imagining my British accent now.)

I was all set to write a post about an amazing discovery. Stephen and I went for a walk this evening (It was gorgeous! About 70 with a cool breeze!) and we decided we wanted a cool treat. So we walked to Burger King (which is super close to our apt) and ordered milkshakes. They have an Oreo sundae shake right now, which is awesome, so I ordered that. And then, the woman asked me a question that changed my milkshake forever: "Vanilla, chocolate or strawberry?" What?!?!?! That's right folks, I was able to order a STRAWBERRY OREO SUNDAE shake. It was amazing. Like a little piece of heaven in this muggy, hot place (aka: Waco). Just delightful.

(And the British accent comes back here:)

So that was going to be my post... Until we came home and decided to watch The Importance of Being Earnest, which inspired me in several ways:

A: I began to talk with a British accent.
B: I have been calling Stephen 'Earnest'
C: I now have a new plan: to become a 'Bunburrist'!!

If you are unfamiliar with the play or movie, then I shall attempt to explain the Bunburry part, but the rest you'll have to see for yourself, and you should because it's wonderful:

In The Importance of Being Earnest, one of the main characters, Algernon Moncreiff, has created an invalid by the name of Bunburry so that he can escape life in the city and his Aunt- Lady Augusta Bracknell. Conversely, another character, Jack Worthing, has created a younger brother by the name of Earnest to escape life in the country and to see his love, Gwendolyn. Near the beginning of The Importance of Being Earnest, Algie (as he is commonly known) has accused Mr. Worthing of being "an advanced Bunburrist".

So here is my proposition: Earnest (Stephen) and I will create a "Bunburry" who likes to travel-to Missouri, to Oklahoma, to Illinois, to Washington- but they often fall ill in these places and require our immediate attention. It's flawless!

Bunburry-ing here we come!

I have spoken.

No comments:

Post a Comment