Sunday, March 28, 2010

Weekend listing- Sunday edition

Go ahead, you can laugh.

If you know me well, you know that I have an irresistible pull to any kind of music and/or movies that are just awful. I like to call them "masterpieces of suckiness". Of course, I do like good music and movies too. There is really no in-between for me, though. It's either good or it's real bad.

So, today's list is simple. Now you can sympathize with my poor husband and some of my former roommates. I would apologize to them for my preferences, but they all love me enough that they accepted my eccentricities. Or at least didn't mock me behind my back. All mocking was done to my face, which I appreciated.

That said, I give you my list of favorite really bad music and/or movies*:

1. Get Over It: a lesser-known movie starring Ben Foster and Kirstin Dunst, Martin Short, Colin Hanks (Tom Hanks' son), Sisqo, Shane West- to name a few. I could list more, but I think you get the idea. This movie is hilarious! Is it lame and ridiculous? Absolutely. Does that diminish my love for it? Nope. If anything, it makes me love it more!

2. Grease 2: Starring a young Michelle Pfeiffer and the unknown Maxwell Caulfield, this delightful musical is awful. From the start, a very weak connection is linked to Grease, but it doesn't do much for the movie. The songs=lame. The dancing=lame. The dialogue=way way lame. But I love it. I love it so so so much.

3. Footloose*: Kevin Bacon, Lori Singer, Chris Penn, John Lithgow. What a cast! Memorable lines? "Jump back!" "I thought this was a party?!? Let's dance!" And that is pretty much it. But the dialogue is priceless nonetheless, and Kevin Bacon's dancing is -in a word- awesome.

4. From Justin to Kelly: American Idol (season 1) winner Kelly Clarkson teams up with the runner-up Justin Guarinni (or something like that) to give the world a really really lame "musical". (I am using the term musical lightly). It is just rough. Bad music, bad dancing, bad talking, bad acting. It is the "perfect storm" of bad! And I adore it. I've seen it more times that I can count and I have the music on my iTunes. Good times.

5. Alex and Emma: A relatively unknown Luke Wilson and Kate Hudson film. Why is it relatively unknown? Because it is bad. Really bad. Luke Wilson is an author who has to write a book in 30 days or be killed by the Latin mafia. And Kate Hudson is a stenographer, to whom he dictates the book. To sum up the movie in one word: lame. But I love it! I can't explain these things.

6. N'SYNC*: I love them. All 3 CD's. I have favorite songs on every CD, but I also know every song on all the CD's. They are cheesy songs and funny songs and I can't get enough. I drive Stephen crazy wanting to listen to them in the car.

7. Dirty Dancing soundtrack: Could have been an example on the movies part, but I chose to single out the soundtrack. Mostly for songs like "She's Like the Wind" and "Love is Strange" and "Hungry Eyes". The whole CD is lame/awesome, but these three songs are the best. I could listen to them over and over.

8. Daniel Bedingfield: I only have one song of his left. I had his whole CD, but in my shift from Windows Media Player to iTunes I lost a lot of music. But I still have this one song: "If You're Not the One"... If you listened to the pop radio stations between 2002 and 2002, you would know this song. Or other DB classics like "He Don't Love You Like I Love You" or "I Gotta Get Thru This". He was much more popular in Europe than in the US, but to teen girls in 2002, he was the bomb.

9. Plus One*: What can I say? I have a thing for boy bands. I am fully aware that the "boy band fad" has long passed, but my love for them will never fade. I have an extra special love for Plus One, because I saw them twice in concert. And yes, I love love love the cheese-ball lyrics.

10. Lame musicals: I can't escape them. They are the heart and soul of my music collection. And I am not ashamed to say that I blast them in the car and sing along as often as I can. "Musicals" like Footloose, From Justin to Kelly, High School Musical, Grease 2, and Hairspray. These soundtracks offer fun, peppy, catchy (and yes, lame) songs to sing along to. And some songs are just downright hilarious.

There are many more I could list for you. Movies like 16 Candles, Hot Rod*, and the Will Ferrel version of Bewitched. Music from the likes of Miley Cyrus, Spice Girls, BBMak*, and the Jonas Brothers.

But my arguement has been and will always be: If I don't love the "masterpieces of suckiness", who will?

(This list was complied with help and mockery from Stephen Cowden)

*Some on this list I don't necessarily include on my list as "really bad" but I have gotten grief for loving them, so I'll include them on the list with an asterisk.

3 comments:

  1. I bought "Get Over It" the other day b/c Hollywood Video was going out of business and made Kristy J watch it with me. I don't think she loved it like I hoped, but at least I can say "Put your hand down, Little Steve!" and she'll get the reference.

    This must be watched when you come home/I come to Tejas.

    Good times, good times....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things I love in this post:

    1. Footloose. I can never get enough. Especially the dance scene of rage (thanks Hot Rod). And those quotes-- priceless! I'm totally going to start saying "jump back" again.

    2. Nsync-- All the teens today need to thank US for making Justin Timberlake popular... and it all started with that Mickey Mouse Club.

    3. Plus One-- Christian boy band... need I say more? Hilarious lyrics, too. "I want you to know, you belong in my life. I love the hope I see in your eyes. For you I would fly, at least I would try-- for you I'll take the last flight out!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm bring 'jump back!' back too! It's happening. Where would we be if Kevin Bacon had not begun the punch dance phenomenon? Lost and sad, I think.

    ReplyDelete