Thursday, March 25, 2010

Once Upon a Time...

Today I was bored at work. I read all of The Catcher in the Rye. And I read most of another Wodehouse book. 7.5 hours is too much time to fill when all I do is answer the phone.

So I wrote my adorable husby a story. Part 1 anyway... And since I am lazy, I will now share it with you all as the post for today!

Not long ago, deep in a misty rain forest, there lived a happy little monkey named Bebo, Bebo the bonobo. Bebo was joyful and playful most of the time. There was only one thing that cast a shadow on his mirth: he was lonesome. He did have a few friends and some family. Every week he went to visit his old uncle Arpen and aunt Livian, who made their home above the waterfall. He occasionally played tag with the macaws in the treetops. His closest friend was Oompah the hippo, and they swam together in the watering hole sometimes. But still, Bebo wanted a companion, someone with whom he could share daily life. He had almost given up his search until...
One day, Bebo decided to go for a swim with Oompah. It was a very warm day and Bebo was eager to get to the watering hole. In his haste, Bebo was not watching where he was going. One minute, he was hustling along the forest floor; next thing he knew, he was in a dark, earthen pit. "Crumbs!” he said, for he felt he should have been paying better attention. He tried to climb out, but the walls of the pit were smooth with nothing to grab onto. Next, he tried jumping out, as he was usually a good jumper. But he'd hurt his tail in the fall and bouncing made it hurt even more. Bebo sat down, very upset. Being a very smart creature, he was usually able to get himself out of predicaments like the one he found himself in, but this time his super brain was stumped. So he sat there, watching shadows appear as the sun set.

Over at the watering hole, Oompah the hippo was starting to worry. Bebo was late for their swim. Oompah started calling, "Bebo! Bebo? Bebo?!?” hoping to hear an answer. Oompah was just about to get out of the water and try to look for his friend when he heard a noise in the trees above him. The sun was setting overhead, so it was with squinty eyes that he viewed the figure. "Bebo!” he cried, "Where have you been? I was worried!" As the monkey leapt lightly to the ground, Oompah blushed. For the monkey in front of him was not Bebo. It was a female he had never seen. She said, "I'm sorry! I heard shouting and I thought that someone was calling my name. I'm Baben. You were the one shouting, right? But I don't know you, so you probably weren't calling my name, were you? What were you shouting?" Baben spoke so fast that Oompah could hardly keep up, but after a minute he replied, "I was calling for my friend Bebo. He was supposed to meet me today to have a swim." Oompah looked so worried that Baben offered to go look for him. Oompah brightened and showed her the direction that Bebo should be coming from. So Baben took off in the trees.

Back in his little hole, Bebo was becoming more and more afraid. Surely a hunter had built this trap and Bebo was afraid the hunter would return soon. Bebo started talking to himself, scolding himself really. "You silly monkey!” he said, "This should teach you to walk on the ground... You should be traveling through the trees, like all the other monkeys!" Just then, he heard soft laughter, coming from a tree next to his hole. Bebo looked up in shock. Hanging from a low branch was a female monkey. "Hello!” said Bebo, "Why are you laughing?" The female laughed again and said, "You are sitting in a hole and talking to yourself. It's a little funny." Bebo looked up at her indignantly. "It is not funny” he said angrily, "I am stuck here and I can't get out!' As the female swung to the ground, she asked coyly, "Would you like me to help you out?"

TO BE CONTINUED!!

No comments:

Post a Comment