Sunday, May 16, 2010

What I have learned from marriage:

In my five months of marriage, I have learned many things.

Many things.

I could make a list of all the things I have learned so far, but instead, I will focus on an aspect that has surprised me recently.

If you have ever lived with me (and about 1/2 of the readership of my blog has lived with me: my mom, Sarah, Janna, Anna, Stephen), then you know that I enjoy my alone time.

I have always liked to have time to myself and time to do my own thing. Some might call me independent.

But lately, I've realized that I need a lot less alone time than I used to.

It's strange.

For the first month of our marriage, Stephen and I didn't have jobs. We spent time organizing our new apartment and trying to figure out Waco.

And then even after Stephen got his part-time job at the bookstore and I was looking for a job, we still spent a lot of time together.

So I suppose that I grew used to having him around. When he'd go to work, I'd be stuck at home. Sure, putting in online applications took up some time and so did facebook. But eventually, I'd run out of things to do.

And it wasn't just that I'd get bored, it was that I got tired of being alone.

This is a very odd thing for me to discover about myself.

I never used to mind being alone.

I had my own room the first year I lived in the dorm at SBU.

And I'm sure my former roommates can all vouch for the fact that I liked to go into my room and read or study and just be alone for a while.

And Stephen has ruined that.

Maybe when I get a full-time job, I can go back to having some independence.

Or maybe once I make friends here in Waco, I'll start to want my alone time again.

Any of my current friends want to move to Texas???

3 comments:

  1. Are there jobs there? I need a job. Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I could lie, but you know how my job search has been going...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like being alone too.
    i wonder if that will change if i ever decide to get married.

    ReplyDelete