Thursday, April 7, 2011

New Beginning

I'm going to use the term 'new' pretty loosely for a minute...

For some, being married for over a year may seem like old news--

To me, it's still miraculous!

I've been married to the love of my life/bestest friend for almost 16 months.

This is crazyness.

Also, we have been living in Texas for the same amount of time.

Some mornings I wake up and I still can't believe I live in Texas....
No, it has not grown on me.

These big parts of my life still feel new to me.


Something else is new too:

I have a new job!
(Shame on you if you thought I was pregnant! Shame shame shame! I wouldn't announce that on here till all of you already knew!)

I am the new church secretary of First Baptist Church in Mart, Texas.
For those of you not new to my blog, yes! It is the same church where Stephen
is the music minister!

I'm going to be totally and completely honest-- I don't really enjoy telling people I have a new job.

Don't get me wrong; it's totally a God-thing. And I am so thankful for the better pay, steady schedule, and that I like the work I'm doing now better than what I did at the bookstore.

But, I feel a little weird.

I mean, how many 23-year-old church secretaries do you know?

Just the one? That's what I thought.

Church secretary positions are usually filled by older women. I'm not ageist, it's just truth.

And for that reason, I feel a little ashamed to tell people that I am a church secretary.

I've gotten the incredulous looks, the wide-eyed wonderment looks, the furrowed-brow-is-she-joking looks and a few others.

I've heard the surprised tones, the disapproving tones, the shocked tones, etc.

But, the people at church have been so supportive. They make a consistent effort to notice what I do and affirm me and make me feel like I'm making a positive impact in our church.

So I am deciding right now not to be ashamed of my new job.

I am the secretary of FBC Mart! And I think, so far, that I am pretty good at it.

I like that it is challenging and I like that I still have more to learn.

I like the routine and I like having the freedom to decide how I want the work to be done.

I like my new job.

I have spoken!

3 comments:

  1. I love that you're a church secretary. And I'm jealous. Take that eye-brow-raisin'-incredulous-lookin'-jealous-people. I have spoken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, my dear, you are 24, not 23. Secondly, I enjoy being married to you too! Third, I think you are a very good church secretary. I have spoken!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. I love that Stephen corrected your age. I didn't even realize it until now. 24?!? AHHH!
    2. I played church secretary one week a couple of summers ago... It's not as easy as it looks. There's more to it than bulletin folding and answering phones! So props to you!
    3. I'm glad you like it. I think it's so so important to do something you enjoy. It's your life-- you only get one shot at it!
    4. I love the new background on your blog. I want to go to tropical island getaway RIGHT NOW. I mean it.
    5. I love you and your blog, so please write more often.
    6. The end. I promise. :)

    ReplyDelete